"I don't need to see everything...just more of You"

Monday, January 24, 2011

so nice to meet you



on my way to work this morning, i saw a bumper sticker that proudly proclaimed, "i like sin". to the side of this bold statement was an imprint of a lipstick-stained kiss. i was disgusted. i made a face. and then the Holy Spirit and i had a "come to Jesus" conversation. literally.

i should preface this with the explanation that when God talks to me, i hear Him in a voice very similar to how i would talk to me, or sometimes a voice like my dad would talk to me. so this morning (after i made my face at the bumper sticker, but before i had the chance to start feeling all holy and mighty), God said, "really little pot? let me introduce you to the kettle."

i am not so brave as to affix such a bumper sticker to my car, but i think most days, my life declares that same kind of audacity. all of ours do, some more often than others. when i make choices that are in direct contrast to the word of God, when i see the proverbial red light and keep going anyway...i may as well be yelling to the world, and to my God, "i like sin!"

you're probably thinking, "that's awful! no Christian would ever say that!" but we do. every day. we say it when we do what we shouldn't. we say it when we don't do what we should. we say it when our hearts get hard and our intentions become muddied by our true selves. we like sin. why else would we do things to separate ourselves from our Creator? why else would He have had to send His only Son to die for us, to pay the price? He paid the price for my sin. sure, He did it out of love, but i can't even begin to imagine the pain i cause Him when i continually declare "i love sin" with my life, the life that Jesus died for me to have.

thank God for His grace. thank God for His forgiveness. Lord, help me declare "i love Jesus!" with my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment