"I don't need to see everything...just more of You"

Thursday, February 17, 2011

been there. done that. need to do it again.


it is never my intention to confuse the readers of my blog (all five of you), but sometimes i don't quite know how to explain things that i'm feeling. occasionally, i'll find a picture or a song that seems to really represent what i feel and that is the case with this picture.

in struggling with some recent decisions about fertility treatments, my dad reminded me that trusting in God is very much like being in a hammock. getting in and getting out are the hardest parts...the best part is after you've struggled to get in and can simply rest in the comfort of the hammock, letting it support you and hold you in, not struggling or working, just resting.

hammocks always trigger happy memories for me. my grandparents had one when my sister and i were kids. we used to sit out under the grape arbor, swinging in the hammock. we would talk, dream, play games, and try not to fall out of the hammock. my grandfather rigged a small rope that we could reach from the hammock so we could swing ourselves without having to be pushed (ingenious of him, right?). we spent hours out there, just relaxing and having a good time.

trusting God is a like being in a hammock. however, i seem to keep climbing in and out of this hammock, sometimes able to rest in God's grace and other times feeling all twisted and tangled in the netting of life. this picture makes me think of what i know God wants for me, to be able to depend completely on Him, with no worry for my life. He is the hammock in which i can rest. i just have to stop strugging, stop tangling things up, and simply be still in His arms.

No comments:

Post a Comment