"I don't need to see everything...just more of You"

Monday, February 14, 2011

take your pick

there is a song we sing in our church that talks about all the different names of God used in the bible. at first i didn't really like it. i remember thinking, "how is this relevant to today? why do i care what people called God a bazillion years ago?" as is typically the case, God let me have my ugly little attitude...and then He showed me why i was wrong.

there are so many names for God. the people in the bible called out to God when they needed Him, and they used the name that was unique to their particular situation. i can do the same. He is all of these names and more.

Elohim: Creator, mighty and strong
El Shaddai: God Almighty, or God All Sufficient
Jehovah-Jireh: the Lord Will Provide
Jehovah-Rophe: the Lord Who Heals
Jehovah-Nissi: Lord our Banner, God who lifts up, our God on the battlefield
Jehovah-M'Kaddesh: the Lord Who Sanctifies, the God who makes me holy in His sight
Jehovah-Shalom: the Lord Our Peace (peace is translated to mean "whole, finished, fulfilled, perfected")
Jehovah-Rohi: the Lord Our Shepherd
Jehovah-Shammah: the Lord Is There
Jehovah-Sabaoth: the Lord Of Hosts, commander of the armies of God
El Elyon: God Most High
El Roi: God of Seeing, the God who opens my eyes
Yeshua: Savior

it's interesting to me to look back at my life, to think about the ways that God has blessed me, the ways that He has provided for me, corrected me, and held me close. He has been all of these names to me. my favorite is Jehovah-Shammah. the Lord Is There. i like that it doesn't specify where "there" is. that's because it doesn't matter where "there" is. it's wherever i am and it's everywhere i'm not. He is here. He has gone before me and is in my future. He has been in my past over and over and over again. Jehovah-Shammah. what a calming breath that is to me. no matter what i am going through, no matter what i may face in the future...Jehovah-Shammah.

No comments:

Post a Comment